I am not joking Japan has these Spring festivals namely the penis festival and the vagina festival. The vagina festival usually is celebrated first before the penis festival one Sunday apart. The Vagina festival is not as popular of a festival to the tourist unlike the penis festival. During the vagina festival small vagina are carried by children to the Shine. Then it will be followed by the biggest vagina you ever see in your life carried by more than 3 dozen big muscled men headed to the Shine. I do not know the legend of the vagina festival but I think it has some connection to the legend of the Penis festival a.k.a. Kanamara Matsuri where they worship the penis. So I will just write about the Legend of the Penis festival and how the practice some 400 years ago is still active up to this point.
The Legend of the Pink Penis:
A long time ago in the 1600s Kawasaki was the most important place in Japan. The business abounds in Kawasaki. People sold tea and hostels are many for the tired businessmen to lay for the night. It was once the most important destination of the western tourists. The place was famous for the tea and recreation including prostitution of young women.
Some prostitutes were afraid of the (STD) Sexual Transmitted Diseases so they went to the Kanamara Shine to ask for protection of the gods.
Then, loud and clear a prostitute believed her gods answered her prayer. There was a sharp toothed monster believed to dwell in her vagina that cut off all the penises that went inside her. Her first husband died the first night they had sex then she got married a second time but her second husband died as well.
Breaking the Sharp Toothed curse:
After the death of her second husband the prostitute realized that she has to do something before the sharp toothed demon (vagina dentata) cuts off another man's penis. She went to the blacksmith and asked him to make a big steel penis to break the curse. Then yeah, she was right! The curse stopped! She was able to live a normal life again.
The NOW of The Kanamara Celebration:
1. Different people come together to have fun and worship the penis for different reasons. They worship the shrine to grant them healthy babies, blessing for their business and to bless them in a general way. People usually come back the following year to offer a prayer of thanks when their prayer is answered.
2. The celebration offers awareness of the STD diseases and the proceeds they accumulated from the festival are also given back to the community to help those affected by the diseases.
3. The celebration is full of fun where all kinds of stuff are made in the shape of penises and vagina. Candies are also made in the shape of sexual organs. The most awaited activity of the day is when the huge penis is carried by strong men on the street and cheers, dances and chants are heard all over the place just for the big pink penis.
What you Can Do:
1. Buy penis candy and other penis and vagina shaped items to support the cause
2. Make up penis jokes with friends
3. Make your own chants for the penis
4. Take pictures with the penis
5. Practice safe sex (in private)
What do you think of the Penis festival in Japan?